Community first responder Katie Mclvor was about to go off-call on her first shift when her pager bleeped.
On reading the brief message, the 23-year-old realised the patient was minutes away and instantly responded.
Katie, who had just passed her assessments with the North West Ambulance Service to become a CFR, arrived with life-saving equipment to Stanley’s home, which he shares with his wife of 28 years, Amy.
As Katie was assessing Stanley, he suffered a cardiac arrest.
Katie, who works for Girlguiding UK at Waddow Hall, said: “I was at home with my feet up watching television and was about to go off-call for the evening when a message came through at 10-58 p.m. I jumped to my feet when I realised it was a couple of streets down from my house. My adrenalin kicked in.
“When I arrived at Stanley’s home, I instantly recognised he was blind. I could tell he was extremely uncomfortable and did my best to reassure him and keep him calm. I attached a pulse oximeter to his finger to measure his pulse and oxygen saturation, which confirmed his pulse was racing.
“I continued to talk to Stanley, but in an instant, the pulse oximeter showed his pulse drop to zero. Stanley started to choke and it was clear he was suffering a cardiac arrest.”
Katie went on to shock Stanley using her defibrillator and proceeded with CPR as the ambulance crew arrived.
She worked with the crew who shocked him a second time until they managed to get his pulse back and paramedics then took him to Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Stanley said: “I don’t remember too much from the evening, but I do know I would not be here if it wasn’t for Katie and the fact there is a CFR scheme operating in Clitheroe. I am so grateful to Katie and I am so proud of her.