Neighbour

Neighbours Save Toddler from Drowning

Posted by cocreator on February 22, 2014
Events / No Comments

Two neighbors received awards for rushing to save a child on Christmas Day. The child’s father reportedly tried to drown her in a Kailua backyard swimming pool.

Joelryne and Tino Geronimo received Civilian Certificates of Merit at the Honolulu Police Department Quarter Awards Ceremony.

Police say the couple was home when they heard splashing in their neighbor’s backyard.

Neighbors identified the man as 36-year-old Thomas Morton. His child was two years old.

Police say when the Geronimos looked over the fence, they noticed the child motionless in a swimming pool and Morton at the bottom. The couple pulled the child out. The two-year-old keiki survived, but her father did not.

“They quickly went into the neighbors yard where Tino jumped into the pool and the child was pulled out,” said Capt. Dagan Tsuchida of the Honolulu Police Department. “He and his wife began CPR and were able to revive the child.”

Geronimo jumped back into pool and grabbed the father from the bottom of pool. Another neighbor tried to revive him with CPR before he was rushed to the hospital.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,

Family & Neighbours Save Man Shoveling Snow

Posted by cocreator on January 19, 2012
Events / No Comments

The purchase of a home defibrillator turned out to be a very wise decision made by Coalmont residents Diane and Bob Sterne.

Although the couple had no history of heart problems the purchase was made because Diane worried about how long it would take for medical help to arrive to Coalmont (19 km from Princeton) if either of them should have a heart-related emergency.

On Dec. 30, 2011, while out shoveling snow, Bob Sterne’s heart just stopped.

While letting her dogs out, neighbour Suzie Michaud witnessed Sterne fall down, try to get up and then go down again. She immediately ran inside to get her husband Ray Michaud to help and then called her dad, Maurice Chartrand.

During this time, Diane was on the phone to 911. Within less than a minute, Chartrand and his two sons who were visiting for the holidays — Mike and Shane were on scene and began CPR.

Ray Michaud arrived just as Diane brought out the home defibrillator and together he and Diane hooked it up to Bob. The machine went to work and a shock was given.

“He gasped and then went out again,” said Michaud.

CPR ensued with Mike and Shane again until the defibrillator was ready to proceed. The second shock was given—Bob breathed and his pulse was detected by Shane.

By this time, thanks to the phone call chain of neighbours, Jodi Woodford, Chief of the Tulameen Fire Department, arrived and outfitted Bob with oxygen.

“It was scary there for a while,” said Chartrand, “but once we got him breathing, we knew he’d be okay.”

Due to treacherous road conditions, it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive.

“It was awful, said Michaud, “we could hear the sirens from the ambulance for 10 minutes before they got to us. That’s how bad the roads were.”

On Jan. 12, Bob Sterne had surgery to implant a pacemaker/defibrillator. For some unknown reason on Dec. 30, his heart short-circuited and the implant will prevent it from happening again.

According to Diane, the doctors are amazed with Bob’s condition.

“The quick actions of Maurice, Mike and Shane meant that Bob not only lived, but he didn’t suffer any brain damage,” she said.

The defibrillator traveled with Bob to Vancouver, as it stored medical information from his event.

“I would highly recommend this life saving machine to anyone who lives any distance from emergency response,” she added.

The help given to the Sterne’s did not end once Bob was finally loaded into the ambulance. Neighbours took care of their motel, called the Sterne children, took care of their puppy and drove Diane to Penticton.

Diane and Bob Sterne send their deepest and most sincere thanks to their heroes, friends and neighbours, to the doctors and nurses and to God for orchestrating the entire rescue.

“We will never forget you and we will never be able to thank you enough.”

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Neighbour Saves Woman at Home

Posted by cocreator on November 23, 2011
Events / No Comments

Ian Owen, 50, from Bucknell, used a defibrillator on Mandy Edwards, 47, when she collapsed at home in April.

Ian Owen the Survivor & Mandy Edwards the Survivor

He was trained in using the equipment and had been given a defibrillator to look after as part of a community life saving skills scheme.

He said: “It was a funny situation to be in – this was the first time I had to put my training into action.”

“I gave CPR and administered two shocks using the defibrillator then put her into the recovery position,” Mr Owen added.

“If the Clun Valley Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) scheme hadn’t started, Mandy wouldn’t be here.”

Under the scheme, nine defibrillators have been put in remote villages and communities in the Clun Valley area of Shropshire, and 80 volunteers have been trained to use them.

Ms Edwards said: “I don’t remember anything [but] later found out that on the day I had done some housework and was on the phone to my cousin when I said I felt faint.”

Her cousin called Mr Owen who went round to his sister’s house before Gaye Edwards, a community first responder from Leintwardine in Herefordshire, arrived to help.

Ms Edwards was flown to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and spent four days in intensive care at Hereford County Hospital before being transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Mr Owen said: “It was luck that there had been a training session the day before, it was luck that I had been given the defib to look after, it was luck that Mandy’s cousin was on the phone to her when she collapsed.

“At the end of the day I did what I was trained to do.”

Tags: , , , ,

Tags: , , ,

Teen Saves Neighbour in Snow

Posted by cocreator on May 27, 2011
Events / No Comments

About 11:30 p.m. Feb. 1, Conant High School senior Ricky Dingraudo and his parents, who live in Elk Grove Village, noticed their neighbor collapsed while snow blowing his driveway.

Ricky Dingraudo the Saviour

While his dad called 911, Dingraudo rushed to the aid of the man and started chest compressions, remembering what he learned in sophomore health class.

“I had never had to use it,” he said. “I was thinking about how many I should do before starting mouth-to-mouth when he started to breathe.”

At that point, paramedics arrived, but the ambulance was temporarily stuck in a snow bank, Dingraudo said. Neighbors helped Dingraudo move the man to a garage so he could keep warm while the paramedics made their way to the scene.

“It took three snow plows and an ambulance to get him to the hospital,” Dingraudo said.

His neighbor, who speaks little English, eventually needed surgery, but now is OK.

“He’s back at home,” Dingraudo said. “For a while I was stressed out because I didn’t know how it was going to turn out.”

After a hospital stay, the man brought over chocolate for Dingraudo and wine for his parents to show his thanks. Once the school learned of Dingraudo’s action, he was presented with the Larry Schroeder Award at a pep assembly.

“The chocolate would have been enough,” Dingraudo said.

The award, which is only given out once this year, is presented to students who make a difference in their community, said Associate Principal Jerry Trevino.

“During the assembly…the entire student body gave him a standing ovation,” he said. “The kids really showed their respect.”

Dingraudo said he plans to attend Elmhurst College next year, and major in criminal justice. He’s thinking of becoming a police officer.

“He certainly has the temperament,” Trevino said. “He’s calm and cool under pressure.”

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Neighbour & Paramedics Save Father of 2 after 18 Minutes

Posted by cocreator on February 09, 2010
Events / No Comments

Rob collapsed after going to bed early with flu-like symptoms at his home in Newport, Gwent.

Rob Waggett the Survivor

Rob Waggett the Survivor

Two hours later Dianna heard him struggling for breath through a baby monitor she keeps on the upstairs landing and by the time she reached him Rob was taking his last breaths.

Dianna, 29, said: “I said my goodbyes and told him I loved him and then watched as he died in my arms.”

She dialled 999 and was told how to try to resuscitate him as an ambulance was alerted.

Dianna also shouted to next-door neighbour Gary Thompson who helped her desperately perform CPR for four minutes until the paramedics arrived.

They then used a defibrillator to shock Rob’s heart six times without success.

As the minutes clicked by they tried one last time — and he suddenly started breathing again.

He was then rushed to hospital where he was put into a medically-induced coma.

Doctors warned her that even if he pulled through it was likely he had suffered serious brain damage.

She said: “I started grieving because I thought there was no hope, I didn’t know what I was going to tell our two young sons.”

Three days later Rob shocked doctors when he opened his eyes — but he failed to recognise Dianna who was keeping a bedside vigil because his brain had been starved of oxygen.

But amazingly the next day he woke up and asked nurses: “What’s my wife doing sleeping on the floor?”

He gradually began to piece together his long-term memories and three days later was well enough to see his children, three-year-old Mylo and Koby, one.

Dianna said she will always be grateful to neighbour Mr Thompson and paramedics Dan Faulker, Alan Hodge and Gary Evans.

“I am so grateful that the paramedics carried on working on him.

“They didn’t just save Rob’s life, they’ve saved mine and the children’s as well.”

Rob said: “It hasn’t sunk in yet what has happened. I’m so thankful to hospital staff and everyone who helped.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,