Grandson

Grandmother Save Two Year Old Grandson from Choking

Posted by cocreator on November 26, 2013
Events / No Comments

SHARON Cura and her husband, Dan, feared their two-year-old grandson Beau had died after he suddenly stopped talking and slumped to the floor, his face an ashen grey.

The couple had watched him chattering away to his mother Hayley on the phone while enjoying his lunch of roast chicken pieces, and one of them got stuck in his throat.

Luckily nursery manager Sharon, 50, from Birkhill, Fife, instantly knew what to do – and what she must never do. She had completed a Paedriatrics first aid course for her job, and had also taken the full First Aid At Work course with St Andrews in Dundee.

“You’re taught to put the child’s head to the floor and to use the heel of your hand to deliver four hard slaps between the shoulder blades to dislodge the foreign body, but even though I was thumping his back repeatedly with my fist, at one point I thought it wasn’t working and he wasn’t coming back,” she said.

“It’s really difficult to do that to a wee child and especially one of your own. I didn’t want to hurt him yet I felt I was breaking him. Doing it in real life is different from learning it in class and it’s terrifying, but you have to hold your nerve.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Grandson, Son-in-Law & Cop Save Man at Home

Posted by cocreator on October 26, 2009
Events / No Comments

Daniel Beahan, 13, an eighth-grader at Regina Coeli School in Hyde Park, said he was getting ready for bed when his family heard thrashing sounds coming from his grandfather’s room downstairs.

Daniel Beahan the Saviour

Daniel Beahan the Saviour

It was Sept. 9 around 9:40 p.m.

Daniel’s grandfather, Edward Robertson, 80, lost consciousness and went into respiratory arrest.

The teen’s father, Joseph Beahan, called 911, and Daniel quickly went to work performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

A dispatcher instructed the family to move Robertson from the bed onto a hard surface, like the floor, Joseph Beahan said.

Daniel doesn’t remember how long he performed CPR, but after a short while, his grandfather began labored breathing .

A few minutes later, state police arrived with an automated external defibrillator device.

Robertson was connected to the device, but it said no shock was advised because his heart was beating, Daniel said. His grandfather’s pacemaker was probably a factor in that, he said.

Robertson regained consciousness in the ambulance, en route to the hospital, he said.

Joseph Beahan, the buildings administrator for the Dutchess County Department of Public Works, said his son and his father-in-law have always been very close.

“You wonder how your kids will react in an emergency situation,” Beahan said. “He got in there and did exactly what he needed to do.

“His grandfather’s here because of him,” he said. “He thanks him every day.”

Daniel was certified in CPR by the American Heart Association through a course taught by the Heart Safe Club in Rhinebeck.

“We’re proud of him, that he put the skills to use,” Forbes said. “He acted quickly and didn’t just sit by.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,