Employee

Staff & Teammates Save Man in Hockey Rink

Posted by cocreator on October 16, 2010
Events / No Comments

A defibrillator and some quick work and thinking by a few men helped save a life last week in West Kelowna.


View World Map on AED Locations in a larger map

Mayor Doug Findlater told council at Tuesdays meeting, that on October 6th at Royal LePage Place, a man collapsed in the dressing room during a recreational hockey game.

Dave Stewart, a facilities employee who had just recently taken a course for Automated External Defibrillator training and 2 of the mans teammates helped quickly.

“When the ambulance arrived, paramedics took over. District staff have since been told that using the AED machine, saved the man’s life.”

Findlater says all staff working in the arena are required to have an up to date certification in first Aid and CPR.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,

Store Employees Save Shopper

Posted by cocreator on August 17, 2010
Events / No Comments

The day after the July floods, Terry Lee entered the Germantown store and never made it to the sump pumps.


View World Map on AED Locations in a larger map

Lee says, “When I hit the floor. I just totally blacked out. Don’t know what happened, and they took over from there. They have their defibrillator in the store here. The went through their code blue.”

Manager Tom Pfeifer, and his trained staff first performed the newest recommended heart attack technique called “Heart Saver”.

“Paramedic service, they came here in 5-6 minutes. We had minimal time with you initially until they came.”

In those minutes Lee flat lined, which led to him being shocked by an automated external defibrillator.

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Water Park Staff Save 3 Year Old

Posted by cocreator on July 10, 2010
Events / No Comments

Three-year-old Jaden Miller was enjoying a day with his parents at Rapids Water Park on July 4, in Riviera Beach, when, without any warning, his heart suddenly stopped.


View World Map on AED Locations in a larger map

Jaden had just come down from the slide when the first signs appeared. “He’s was on my shoulder,” said his father. “I didn’t even know.”

“He grabbed his head like this,” the mother said, pulling at her hair. “You know, like when somebody’s having a stroke, and his eyes rolled back, and he just passed out.”

After suffering the excitement of the water ride, park officials “ran him to first aid,” explained Tina Hatcher, spokesperson for Rapids Water Park.

“They immediately started CPR. We have EMT on staff, so as soon as they started CPR, they had already gone to get the AED [Automated External Defibrillator] and shocked him.”

“They were trying to call his name, but he was unconscious,” said the boy’s mother. “He’s out of it. They couldn’t find any pulse, anything.”

“The AED was put on, and it shocked the heart back to normal,” said Dr. Ming-Lon Young, at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.

Jaden was moved from St. Mary’s Hospital in West Palm to Hollywood Memorial Hospital’s Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital where doctors implanted a pacemaker-like device that will shock his heart whenever he needs it. “So the patient’s very lucky to be alive,” said Young. “With treatment he can have a normal life, but he will need support.”

“He’s strong,” said his mother, Neffretti Miller. “He’s strong. He’s a good boy.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Brother & Golf Course Staff Save Golfer on the Green

Posted by cocreator on July 09, 2010
Events / No Comments

Last month Lindstrom was ringing up a customer in the pro shop when someone called to report that a golfer was suffering a heart attack on the course.


View World Map on AED Locations in a larger map

Lindstrom said he immediately remembered there was an automated external defibrillator at the bar, so he grabbed that and headed to the fallen golfer while another worker called paramedics.

“He wasn’t conscious when I got there,” Lindstrom recalled. “He wasn’t responding to anything. He was breathing faint breaths and making a moaning sound.”

The unidentified man was a regular who often played at Maple Meadows, Lindstrom said. When he arrived at the fourth hole, the stricken man’s brother was performing CPR. Lindstrom pulled out to the defibrillator and followed the instructions.

“The first thing it says to you when you open it up is ‘stay calm,’” Lindstrom said. “I didn’t feel like I was freaking out or anything, but other people may have something different to say.”

He attached the machine to the man and a shock was applied.

Lindstrom said the machine appeared to be readying for a second shock when it stopped itself. The man’s heart rate appeared to stabilize after the first shock, and soon Wood Dale Fire Protection District paramedics arrived to take the man to Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village.

“The guy’s brother called the next day to say thank you and he said his brother was in stable condition,” Lindstrom said, “But neither of them have been back since, so we don’t know how he’s doing.”.

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Arena Staff & Paramedics Save Man during Hocky Game

Posted by cocreator on June 28, 2010
Events / No Comments

County of Simcoe Paramedic Services responded to a call for assistance at the Nottawasaga Inn – Centre Ice Arena, Alliston after a 44-year old man collapsed after playing hockey.


View World Map on AED Locations in a larger map

Staff came immediately to his aid performing CPR to revive the man and called 911.

An Automated External Defibrillator was used and the man was revived.

Paramedics took over the life-saving measures and transported the man to a local sent to Southlake Hospital, Newmarket for cardiac care. Reports claim that the man is now recovering.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,