Choking

Family Friend Saves Child from Choking

Posted by cocreator on February 10, 2014
Events / No Comments

A Super Bowl party turned to panic for a Covington family after their 3-year-old daughter choked on a meatball and they now credit the quick-thinking actions of a guest with saving that child’s life.

“It was close to the end of the first quarter and Connor, my 4-year-old son, came downstairs and was like ‘Mom, Sydney’s making weird noises’ and I didn’t think anything of it,” said Bree Fontenot who mentioned the adults frequently checked on the children during the party.

At that point, Fontenot’s friend, Bri Webb, decided to see what was going on.

“I walked up the stairs fully expecting to walk into some kind of pretend crawling around game and that’s not what was happening,” said Webb who found Sydney lying at the top of the stairs.

“She just didn’t look well,” said Webb. “When I got her up into the bathroom I thought she was going to throw up and when I brought her to the bathroom I realized she was not getting air and there was a problem,” said Webb.

Webb called Fontenot to come upstairs and that’s when Fontenot realized there was an emergency.

“It wasn’t until I walked into the bathroom and she was doing the Heimlich on Sydney – had her bent over her arm,” said Fontenot. “I was like freaked out. I just kept telling her ‘Save her.’ ”

During the Heimlich maneuver, Sydney went limp. Her mom tried to scoop pieces of a meatball from the child’s mouth but Sydney stopped breathing. Webb then began CPR.

“When I gave her the first breath I watched her chest rise and fall so I knew she was getting air,” said Webb.

Webb gave Sydney four or five more breaths and said the girl was breathing on her own before medics arrived.

“I’m pretty sure I said ‘Yes!’ I think I might have cheered louder for her than I had cheered in the first quarter of the game. I was so, so relieved and so happy,” said Webb who is now credited with saving Sydney’s life – a week after she renewed her CPR certification.

“That’s definitely what saved her life. Definitely. She got in and saw the chest rise,” said Gabe Debay who is a Shoreline firefighter and taught Webb’s recent CPR class.

“Honestly, it’s hard to hold back tears because I teach lots and lots of people but you never really hear the good stories and the good outcomes,” said Debay.

Sydney’s family now encourages others to get CPR certified and to take your child’s concerns seriously.

“Listen to your children because if we all would have just blown off Connor when he said that Sydney was making weird noises it could have been so much different,” said Fontenot. “He knew something wasn’t right and that’s why he came and told us.”

Sydney spent one night at Seattle Children’s Hospital but she’s doing okay. Her family missed the rest of the Super Bowl game but ordered the DVDs so they can finish watching the game.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Mother Save One Year Old One from Choking

Posted by cocreator on November 26, 2013
Events / No Comments

WHEN Kristy Arnold’s one-year-old son Luca stopped breathing after choking on a biscuit, she had just seconds to act.

Kristy Arnold with Son Luca

Kristy Arnold with Son Luca

Springing into action, Ms Arnold used the skills learnt in a CPR course to save her little boy’s life.

But only an estimated 50 per cent of parents have had the CPR training necessary to know how to act decisively in a life-threatening situation.

Ms Arnold, who took her life saving class while 38 weeks pregnant, believes all parents should undertake the 2.5 hours of training.

“Luca was blue in the face and he wasn’t breathing. Three minutes down the road to the hospital is a long time when you aren’t breathing,” she said.

“I knew to do a backblow – which had to be quite hard – and in my eyes it saved a real emergency happening.”

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Grandmother Save Two Year Old Grandson from Choking

Posted by cocreator on November 26, 2013
Events / No Comments

SHARON Cura and her husband, Dan, feared their two-year-old grandson Beau had died after he suddenly stopped talking and slumped to the floor, his face an ashen grey.

The couple had watched him chattering away to his mother Hayley on the phone while enjoying his lunch of roast chicken pieces, and one of them got stuck in his throat.

Luckily nursery manager Sharon, 50, from Birkhill, Fife, instantly knew what to do – and what she must never do. She had completed a Paedriatrics first aid course for her job, and had also taken the full First Aid At Work course with St Andrews in Dundee.

“You’re taught to put the child’s head to the floor and to use the heel of your hand to deliver four hard slaps between the shoulder blades to dislodge the foreign body, but even though I was thumping his back repeatedly with my fist, at one point I thought it wasn’t working and he wasn’t coming back,” she said.

“It’s really difficult to do that to a wee child and especially one of your own. I didn’t want to hurt him yet I felt I was breaking him. Doing it in real life is different from learning it in class and it’s terrifying, but you have to hold your nerve.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Teen Saves Elderly Woman in Restaurant

Posted by cocreator on December 16, 2010
Events / No Comments

Nathan Cruz of Spring Township wears many hats.

He’s a senior at Wilson High School, a busboy at the Circle S Ranch House Restaurant, and now, you can add the title lifesaver.

“I just want to help people, that’s the only reason why I’m doing the training I’m doing,” Nathan said.

Nathan is referring to the training he receives for his other career as a member of the Western Berks Fire Department.

The training came in handy while working at the restaurant this weekend.

A wheelchair-bound senior citizen started choking on her meal and then blacked out.

Though Nathan had only trained performing CPR on mannequins, he responded quickly and professionally.

He performed the Heimlich Maneuver then administered CPR and it worked.

Nathan’s coworkers and fellow firefighters could not be prouder.

“He’s gone above and beyond the training what we asked for in taking the Emergency Medical Technician class and, just in general, [Nathan] is an upstanding citizen of the community,” Western Berks Fire Commissioner Jeffrey Weidner said.

The soft-spoken 18-year-old insists he is no hero, but don’t tell that to his mom.

“I know better. He’s a complete hero in my eyes,” Nathan’s mom Pamela Cruz said.

The woman Nathan rescued is recovering in Reading Hospital. Her family wanted tell Nathan two things: he is a hero and thank you.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Nurses & Paramedics Save Student in Elementary School Party

Posted by cocreator on December 25, 2009
Events / No Comments

Just after noon, a 7-year-old boy was celebrating at a holiday party with his classmates at the Josiah Quincy Elementary School in Boston, said Matthew Wilder, spokesman for the Boston public schools.

Suddenly, he became unresponsive and went into cardiac arrest, Wilder said. It is unclear what triggered the problem.

School nurses immediately rushed to the classroom where the party was taking place and began performing CPR on the boy, Wilder said.

They also used a defibrillator.

Three minutes later, emergency medical technicians arrived and found the boy was not breathing and had no pulse. Paramedics arrived on the scene a few minutes later.

Emergency workers managed to revive the child, but he was not breathing on his own when they transported him across the street to Tufts Medical Center, according to emergency officials.

“The school nurse really should be praised,” said Jennifer Mehigan, spokeswoman for Boston Emergency Medical Services. “Those quick actions are really what save someone’s life.”

He is still listed as in critical condition.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , , , ,