Archive for May, 2014

School Staff Save Principal at Work

Posted by cocreator on May 31, 2014
Events / No Comments

When the shiny new defibrillator was installed near the gymnasium at Queen Victoria Elementary School last fall, acting principal Steve Yull never dreamt he would be the first person to need it.


View First Aid Corps World Map of Lives Saved with AEDs in a larger map

He is only 41, had never had heart problems before and says he had no symptoms before he suddenly blacked out in a meeting room.

“I was speaking with one of the teachers one minute and then the next minute I wasn’t. I had no pain or shortness of breath — no feeling of anything remotely going wrong. But I guess something was pretty wrong,” says Yull, a father of two.

Steve Yull the Survivor Holly Shanlin the Saviour

Steve Yull the Survivor Holly Shanlin the Saviour

Luckily for Yull, Queen Victoria was equipped with an automated external defibrillator (AED). Perhaps even more fortunate was that his friend and vice-principal Holly Shanlin was nearby at the time and able to use the life-saving device on him.

AEDs are becoming increasingly common in public buildings and the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board hopes to have one in every school over the next few years. So far, 46 of the board’s 114 schools have the devices — through the Heart and Stroke Foundation — that use paddles to electroshock a patient out of cardiac arrest.

Shanlin had undergone defibrillator training and was trained in CPR and general first aid.

It was just after 4 p.m. on Feb. 20, a Thursday, when she was called from her office.

She found Yull face down on the floor, trying to breathe. She told one of the teachers to call 911 and then Yull stopped breathing. Shanlin rolled him over.

“I said, ‘I’m starting CPR now.’ And I told one teacher to get the AED. … I opened Steve’s shirt. As I was doing CPR, a teacher got the pads ready to go.

“We let the AED cycle through. It told us a shock was advised. So we shocked him. You could see him twitch and some colour came back in his face.

“I kept going with the CPR. … All of a sudden Steve took a breath, kind of gasping. So I stopped CPR. The paramedics came in and put oxygen on him. Two minutes after that, he started talking to us.”

Yull spent a week in hospital and is expected to be off work for several more weeks as he recuperates at home. He says doctors told him it was an unusual heart attack. He had no blockages and there were no apparent abnormalities with his heart. He doesn’t smoke and is in good shape. It was a case of something electrical going wrong.

“It’s definitely something that everyone at the school has been talking about,” Shanlin says.

The school, located on Forest Avenue in Corktown, has more than 500 children from kindergarten to Grade 8.

Teachers in higher grades have been using the experience as a chance for youngsters to learn about 911 and “how to go about getting help when you are in a situation that is bigger than you,” she says.

“It was quite an experience. It has affected all of us. We keep saying if it could be perfect, it was. The end result is that I still have a friend. Steve’s wife still has a husband and his kids still have a dad. Everybody still has their guy.”

Yull is believed to be the first staff member to be saved by a defibrillator at a board school.

“The doctors were clear that without Holly, the other life-saving measures and the defibrillator, I would not be here today,” he says.

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Off Duty Cop Save Man in Parking Lot

Posted by cocreator on May 31, 2014
Events / No Comments

A McKinney police corporal is being honored after her quick response to help to save a man who was in distress in a parking lot at a fast-food restaurant.

Melissa Taylor the Saviour

Melissa Taylor the Saviour

Cpl. Melissa Taylor was on her day off when she saw the man in need of medical help. She immediately started CPR.

“Corporal Taylor’s actions revived and kept this gentleman alive until emergency medical crews arrived,” McKinney Assistant Fire Chief Tim Mock said in a news release.

The man is now recovering. His daughter expressed the family’s thanks in a note to Taylor. “The doctors say you saved his life,” she wrote. “There are no words to express our gratitude.”

Tags: , , , ,

Tags: , , ,

Cops Save Man before Paramedics Arrive

Posted by cocreator on May 31, 2014
Events / No Comments

Police in Wyoming are now carrying Automated External Defibrillators, or AEDs in their public safety patrol cars.

Sunday, March 9, Wyoming Police Sgt. Corey Walendzk arrived on scene within two minutes of a 911 call about an unresponsive man. Officers Dan Vliestra and Kresten Green followed. Together, the three deployed an AED from a patrol car and delivered a series of electrical shocks. They performed CPR until an ambulance arrived.

By the time the man was transported to the hospital, he was breathing and had a steady heart rate and pulse. In other words, the officers saved the man’s life.

Tags: , , ,

Tags: , ,

9 Year Old Saves Father by Stomping on Chest

Posted by cocreator on May 31, 2014
Events / No Comments

A 9-year-old-girl has been hailed a hero after saving her father’s life by kicking him when his heart stopped.

Izzy McCarron stamped on her father Colm’s chest when she realized she wasn’t strong to get his heart going with her arms.

Her father had suffered a mysterious allergic reaction, reports Metro.

“I just kicked him really hard,” said Izzy. “My mum taught me CPR but I knew I wasn’t strong enough to use hands. I was quite scared.”

“My mum said that he was going to hospital with a giant footprint on his chest,” she added.

Doctors think Izzy’s father may have developed the allergic condition anaphylaxis, reports Metro.

For her efforts, Izzy, from Derbyshire, central England, has received an “outstanding bravery” award from her school.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , ,

Snooker Player Saved by Staff & Bystanders during Game

Posted by cocreator on May 28, 2014
Events / No Comments

A SNOOKER player’s life was saved by two bar workers who used a defibrillator which had been fitted just a week earlier.


View First Aid Corps World Map of Lives Saved with AEDs in a larger map

The St Mary’s Social and Recreation Club’s snooker team in Horwich were playing a match on Thursday night when one of the visiting players, Les Openshaw, collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.

Stephen Fisher, a bartender at the club in in Bosworth Street, set the defibrillator up with the help of customers and telephoned manager Susan Stewart, who had been trained to use the machine.

Stephen Fisher & Sue Stewart the Saviours

Stephen Fisher & Sue Stewart the Saviours

Ms Stewart, aged 42, of Arkwright Street, Horwich, said: “It was a very frightening experience. I was sitting at home in my pyjamas when I got the call saying a man had collapsed and I needed to get down there.

“I just told them to get the defibrillator from behind the bar and that it would tell them exactly what to do.

”When I arrived the defibrillator was just starting to deliver shocks so I knew his heart had stopped..

“Then I started doing CPR — I didn’t even hesitate.

“I thought about what I had been taught and just kept on until the ambulance arrived.

“It was terrifying but I was so glad I had done the training — otherwise I don’t think I would have known what to do.”

Mr Openshaw was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital where he was put into an induced coma. The 86-year-old, who was playing for The Railway Club, in Great Lever, is now understood to be making a recovery in hospital.

Paramedics told Ms Stewart and Mr Fisher that had they not resuscitated the man, he would have died that night at the club.

Mr Fisher, aged 44, from Singleton Avenue in Farnworth, said: “I think your instincts kick in when something like that happens. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous at the time.

“All I could do was try to stay calm as I spoke to the operator and fetched the defibrillator from behind the bar. I dread to think what could have happened had the machine not been fitted eight days before.”

Ms Stewart said that every pub or social club like St Mary’s should have a defibrillator.

She added: “I couldn’t believe it. We’d only had it about a week and I was the only one who had had the training.

“But because it gives such clear instructions, Stephen was able to use it. What an amazing machine. I think every public place should have one.

“And as for Stephen, he was brilliant. Considering he had not done the training, it was amazing what he did. We’re all just hoping the man pulls through.”

David McNally, of North West Ambulance Service, said: “An incident like this emphasises just how important it is to have an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on hand.

“AEDs are so simple to use and will only deliver a shock to the patient if necessary.”

In February last year, The Bolton News launched its Every School Leaver a Life Saver campaign.

The campaign promotes the teaching of emergency life saving skills in schools and for defibrillators to be placed in as many public places as possible.

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,