Rocco Morabito, a journalist with the (now defunct) Jacksonville Journal in Florida USA, was driving back to his newsroom one summer’s day in July 1967 when he passed a group of utility workers by the side of the road, shouting about an unconscious, electrocuted co-worker who was dangling from a power pole, after having received a 4,000 volt charge of electricity.
Randall Champion the Survivor with J.D. Thompson the Saviour 1967
Morabito used his car’s two-way radio to notify emergency services and then took a photograph of the scene, an image which hit newspaper front pages around the world and eventually led to Morabito being awarded the Pulitzer Prize the following year.
Randall Champion the Survivor with J.D. Thompson the Saviour and Photographer Rocco Morabito 1988
The picture shows a senior lineman, J.D. Thompson, giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to 29-year-old apprentice lineman Randall Champion, and subsequently saving his life – the first time such a method of resuscitation had been widely publicized, and which was dubbed “The Kiss Of Life” by the Copy Editor of the Jacksonville Journal, Bob Pate. It’s now, of course, a term widely used throughout the world.
Randall Champion suffered a second major electric shock 20 years later which left him partially paralyzed, but he lived on until 2002, when he died of heart failure at the age of 64. This photograph shows him in hospital after his second accident in 1988, being visited by Rocco Morabito and J.D. Thompson.
Three staff members at the Hogans Reserve venue were recognised by Ambulance Victoria at an award ceremony last Friday for their quick thinking that saved the life of Vaid Bella, who suffered a heart attack and collapsed at the venue on May 3.
One staff member rang triple-0, while off-duty nurse Kylie Buckingham and Silva Warhurst began conducting compressions and performing mouth-to-mouth as general manager George Csifo rushed for the defibrillator.
“We were very thankful we had the defibrillator there,” Mr Csifo said.
“The feedback from the paramedics was that it saved his life.”
‘‘This was an outstanding team effort, with everyone involved keeping calm under extreme pressure,” paramedic Lauren Burns said.
“Their quick thinking and training in CPR and use of the [defibrillator] resulted in a man’s life being saved.’’
Club staff were reunited with Mr Bella when they were presented with the commendation award last Friday.
Mr Csifo said the device was “fool-proof” and all sports clubs should have one. Hoppers Crossing Sports Club has one defibrillator in its commercial area and another at its new sports pavilion.
Deputy Eric Hart saved someone’s life with CPR and a defibrillator for the second time in a little more than year.
Eric Hart the Saviour
Hart, a deputy with the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, saved a man’s live when he responded to a reported unconscious person around 6:10 p.m. June 9. He arrived at the Tabb Lakes subdivision home, where he found the victim’s wife who was on the phone with 911. She took Hart to the man, where Hart tried to wake him. He then determined the victim was having a cardiac incident.
He then retrieved the Automated External Defibrillator from his patrol car. Upon deploying it, the machine said shocking was not necessary, so Hart started CPR on the victim. When Hart was finishing the first round of CPR, medics arrived. Ivey said Hart assisted the medics in getting the victim breathing again. By the time the victim arrived at Riverside Hospital, he had a pulse and was breathing on his own.
Last year, Hart received a sheriff’s commendation ribbon for his efforts in saving an unconscious driver at the scene of a accident May 2, 2012, according to a Virginian-Pilot article. The unconscious man had been seen slumped over his steering wheel when he ran a red light at the intersection of Kiln Creek Parkway and Victory Boulevard. Hart used the AED and helped perform CPR on the man.
Ivey said Sheriff J.D. “Danny” Diggs is “very proud” of Hart’s effort.
Gilliard had a small heart attack that caused cardiac arrest. The other players reacted immediately, starting chest compressions, calling 911 and using an automatic external defibrillator (AED).
Josh Thomas was playing with Gilliard that night. Thomas was on the sideline because of an ankle injury when Gilliard collapsed.
“He was on the ground,” he said. “First we thought he had just tripped, but then we realized he was being nonresponsive.”
Thomas had gone through renewal certification for first responder training just days before at Caterpillar, where he works in product support.
“I’ve been a first responder for two years and this was the first time that I ever had, thankfully, to use it,” he said. “Afterward, you start to think about what if, what if, what if, but I can’t really do that. I can’t say enough about the group of guys that were here that night. Incredible.”
The church had purchased five AEDs about six months ago, said Dean Hawkins, Fairview Baptist Church sports and recreation director.
“I’ve been pushing for two years for the church to get one, especially in the gym,” Hawkins said. “There’s so much activity. It took awhile to get one, to get the funds to go ahead and order one. When we did, our safety team said we need to have them throughout the church, so they’re throughout our whole church campus.”
Because of the AED’s involvement in saving his life, Tony and his wife, Rita, are trying to spread the word about the importance of the device.
“If facilities that don’t have them will get them, then it can save other lives. … We want to get the word to help somebody else,” Rita Gilliard said. “It helped him.”
“That and these folks saved my life,” Tony Gilliard said.
Without his fast-acting friends providing chest compressions and using the AED, “his chances of survival would have gone down dramatically if he would have survived at all,” said Michael Emery, Greenville Health System physician with Carolina Cardiology Consultants. Emery was on-call the night Gilliard was brought in.
About 10 percent of people who have cardiac arrests outside of a hospital survive the hospital discharge, Emery said, and most don’t make it to the hospital.
“He’s a lucky man,” he said.
“They were thoughtful enough to go get the automatic defibrillator,” Emery said. “They had one, which was great, and someone thought of it, which is even better, and applied it immediately.”
AEDs are pretty basic to apply, Emery said.
“There are nice big pictures on the all stickers,” he said. “It will say ‘analyzing rhythm’ and it will analyze the rhythm and decide if the person needs to be shocked because not all causes of arrest are from a rhythm that can be shocked. It’s not as straight-forward as watching it on TV, but the machines are pretty smart, and they can usually figure it out if it’s a rhythm that needs to be shocked.”
Most people don’t survive an event like Gilliard’s, particularly without complications, Emery said. A lot of people who do survive aren’t the same, dealing with memory issues or debilitation, he said.
Gilliard would be dead without the AED and the other players’ efforts, Rita Gilliard said.
“The doctor actually said he would have been dead or brain dead by the time EMS got in there,” she said.
“One actually told him, ‘Welcome back to the living,’ and the other said, ‘Oh, you’re the guy that came back from the dead,’ ” Rita Gilliard said. “When he had cardiac arrest, his heart stopped. They got him back.”
Donald Rubenstein, a Greenville Health System cardiac electrophysiologist, saw Tony Gilliard the day after “the big event, and I was quite surprised.”
“I’m quite happy he made such a great survival after this,” Rubenstein said. “He had some great friends that helped him out.”
Gilliard’s friends did all the right things, he said.
“This just goes to show the importance of these AEDs at public places,” Rubenstein said.
Gilliard hasn’t been back on the court except to shoot a few baskets since his cardiac arrest while he goes through the 12-week recovery. But he plans to.
Engine 1, Rescue 1 and the EMS Captain responded at 2:03 p.m. The patient was located in the middle of the manufacturing portion of the plant.
Once at the patient’s side Milford Fire Department paramedics started advanced life support. The patient was transported with fire department paramedics on board by American Medical Response to Milford Hospital and on arrival had a pulse of 54 and blood pressure of 124/73.
The patient was transferred to St. Raphael’s Hospital on Tuesday in an improved condition.