Archive for February, 2011

Nurse, Firefighter & Security Guards Save Man in Restaurant

Posted by cocreator on February 28, 2011
Events / No Comments

A man who went into cardiac arrest while dining at a mall restaurant was saved by quick-thinking bystanders and security guards using a portable defibrillator, officials said Friday.


View First Aid Corps World Map of AED Locations in a larger map

The 35 year-old man was eating lunch at the Red Robin restaurant in the Westfield Connecticut Post mall last Saturday when his heart stopped, said Capt. Chris Zak of the Milford Fire Department. When the customer collapsed, restaurant manager Curtis Kilburn called 911 and the mall security office.

Two bystanders began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the man, who had no pulse or heartbeat, Zak said. Jeanne DeMello, a nurse, and Mark Kipstein, an off-duty New York City firefighter, started the chest compressions within moments of the man’s collapse.

Security guards Brian Carlson and Michael Todd used the portable defibrillator to deliver one measured shock that returned the man’s heart to a normal rhythm, Zak said.

Mall spokesman Greg Udchitz said Friday that the mall owns at least two of the units, and the security guards and other Westfield personnel are trained in how to use them as well as in basic first aid and CPR. “It is very rare that we see a medical emergency like this, where we get to use our training,” he said.

Milford Fire Department paramedics arrived within four minutes, Zak said, and provided advanced life support services and oxygen. The man, who was not identified, was transported by ambulance to Milford Hospital.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,

School Nurse Saves 13 Year Old in Physical Education Class

Posted by cocreator on February 19, 2011
Events / No Comments

Ian Quinones, 13, collapsed in cardiac arrest during his physical education class at Rincon Middle School on Dec. 14. Within minutes, school nurse Debbie Moore was at his side with a defibrillator, a device that uses electric shocks to treat life-threatening heart issues, which the school had acquired just two years earlier.


View First Aid Corps World Map of AED Locations in a larger map

After two months in the hospital, Ian is scheduled to return home Friday.

Ian Quinones the Survivor

His father, Roger Quinones, said medical workers at Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego called his son a Christmas miracle after fast action at the school, and with the defibrillator, revived Ian.

“He seems to be 100 percent normal,” Quinones said about Ian, who could have sustained a brain or neurological injury from the cardiac arrest. “That’s surprising a lot of doctors there.”

The defibrillator was a gift from the Rincon eighth-grade class of 2008. Physical education teacher Brian Hudson said the idea to buy the $1,500 device came after a firefighter gave a CPR class at the school.

“He said he didn’t understand why all businesses don’t have a defibrillator,” Hudson said. “We didn’t, and I had the same question.”

Hudson, an Associate Student Body adviser that year, suggested the eighth-grade class buy the defibrillator as a gift for a school. Coincidentally, Ian was in Hudson’s class when he collapsed about a two-and-a-half years after the defibrillator was bought.

Quinones said he was driving to work when he got a call from his ex-wife, Tammy, telling him their son had been taken to the hospital with a serious condition.

“I could hear from through the curtains saying, ‘He has no pulse,'” he said. “I couldn’t believe my little boy was in there.”

Quinones said a defibrillator was used on Ian several times at school and in the hospital to start his heart. After the incident, district officials began discussing the possibility of buying automated external defibrillators like the one at Rincon for all schools.

Bob Leon, deputy superintendent of human resources, said the 23-school district expects to spend about $40,000 for the defibrillators at all campuses, the district office and its preschool center by the end of the school year this summer.

“Talk about luck,” she said about Ian. “The one AED in the district happened to be where it was needed.”

Rincon Principal Jon Centofranchi credited the staff and the defibrillator with saving Ian’s life.

“It all happened very fast,” he said. “A number of teachers responded. The ERs at Palomar (Medical Center) both said it was the immediate CPR and the use of the AED that saved his life.”

Ian later was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson-White syndrome, which creates electrical abnormalities in the heart. Quinones said his son has had a procedure to correct the syndrome.

Ian also was put into an induced coma for a couple of weeks to help his heart and body rejuvenate, Quinones said. As a side effect of one of the procedures, his right foot and leg did not get enough blood and he needed an operation to reduce swelling. He is still recovering from that surgery, Quinones said.

Centofranchi was a daily visitor at the hospital during Ian’s first week there, and Rincon family members bought gift cards to help the parents during their vigil in their son’s room, Quinones said.

“They’re just the most phenomenal people,” he said. “When you’re in a desperate situation, you really find out who cares.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Airport Staff Save Passenger for the 28th Time

Posted by cocreator on February 18, 2011
Events / No Comments

Phoenix Sky Harbor had its 28th AED save on Wednesday, Feb. 16.


View First Aid Corps World Map of AED Locations in a larger map

Shortly after 2 p.m., a 79 year-old man from North Carolina, who was traveling with his wife, collapsed near gate C3 in Terminal 4 as they waited for a connecting flight.

Phoenix Airport police officers responded to the call.

The man had no pulse and was not breathing.

An airline employee retrieved the AED and then Officer Joe Liska, who is trained in the use of AEDs, administered one shock to the man. Officer Tom Beck arrived on the scene and began giving chest compressions.

When firefighters arrived, the man was breathing and had a heartbeat. He was taken to the hospital and is currently recovering.

Tags: , , , ,

Tags: , , ,

Gym Staff Save High-Ranking Police Officer

Posted by cocreator on February 18, 2011
Events / No Comments

Staff and members at Gainesville Health and Fitness Center (GHFC) saved the life of the second in command at Gainesville (FL) Police Department last month.


View First Aid Corps World Map of AED Locations in a larger map

Police Maj. Rick Hanna collapsed while working out Jan. 22 at GHFC and suffered what his wife said was a sudden death cardiac event, according to the Gainesville Sun.

Hanna fell off a stair stepper shortly after noon that day. CPR and an automated external defibrillator (AED) were used on Hanna until paramedics arrived. Hanna was taken to North Florida Regional Medical Center.

GHFC supervisor Patrick Noyes, employees David Mitchell and Kristine Anderson, and members Jill Carr, Henri Belleville and Mia Belleville all are credited in saving Hanna’s life. Hanna’s wife, Marlene Hanna, the executive assistant to Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell, and Darnell herself praised the staff.

“According to physicians, his survival is a direct result of the individuals involved,” Darnell wrote in a letter to GHFC owner Joe Cirulli. “I want to add my formal expression of appreciation for the response in this particular incident. Also, for your foresight to predict, prepare and plan for just such an event by providing the needed emergency equipment and training.”

In addition to the GHFC staff and members, the Hanna family also thanked the doctors, nurses, fire-rescue staff and city and county law enforcement officials who stayed with Rick Hanna and his family.

“The doctors and fire-response staff credit this ‘miracle’ recovery to the training and equipment at the gym,” Marlene Hanna wrote in an e-mail to the newspaper. “Had Rick been any other place when his heart stopped, he would not likely be around to tell about it.”

Hanna, who has been at the police department since 1981 and was promoted to the rank of major in 2008, has returned home from the hospital.

Tags: , , , , ,

Tags: , , , ,

Cops Save Man at YMCA

Posted by cocreator on February 18, 2011
Events / No Comments

At 6:10 p.m. Tuesday, an employee at the YMCA 280 Old Connecticut Path, called 911 to report that a man had collapsed in the weight room.


View First Aid Corps World Map of AED Locations in a larger map

Police and an ambulance were dispatched to the YMCA. But Officers Stephen Buma and Robert Lewis, who were on patrol as part of the street crimes unit, were just around the corner.

The man was not breathing when the officers arrived, Brandolini said.

“They used an AED the YMCA provided for them, and they revived him before anyone else arrived,” he said.

The man, whose name and age were not available, was taken to MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham. Doctors said the man may have suffered a heart attack. The man was conscious and talking when the officers later stopped by the hospital to check on him.

“The cardiologist said they did an outstanding job,” said Brandolini. “He could have been a fatality. It appears they brought him back.”

Tags: , , , ,

Tags: , , ,