We will be reporting on lives saved around the world since our first documented life saved here in Singapore.
Fire specialist Steve Hinojosa was working out at a Lifetime Fitness on McCarty Lane, when he heard someone ask if anyone knew CPR.
Specialist Steven Hinojosa, who has 22 years of experience with the Austin Fire Department, said it was just luck that he was within earshot when someone called for help.
I had forgotten my gym shoes, and had to go back to my car to get them,” he said. “Otherwise, I would have been upstairs exercising, and would never have known what happened.”
He rushed into the gym and saw a man on the floor. The man was not breathing, so Hinojosa began resuscitation immediately.
Two staff members were helping, and they were great,” he said. They brought him a portable defibrillator, and Hinojosa shocked him once.
Shortly afterwards, the man regained consciousness. Hinojosa said the 58-year-old man was talking to emergency medical personnel as he was rushed to South Austin Hospital. “I heard he was doing well,” he said.